- Half of all households (62%) or 64.2 million households include at least one pet 1
- Last year, Americans spent an estimated $29 billion on their pets, up from $27 billion in 1994, this is expected grow to $34 billion by 20052
- 1/3 of pet owners have children3
- Services such as pet-sitting, day-care centers and boarding as well as in home services to make life easier for the “parents” on the go is growing4
- The auto industry is designing models to meet the needs of the pet travelers ( Saab full line of dog/car accessories and Pet Pro/GMC Envoy retrofitted with vacuum, pet supply storage and dog ramps)
American Pet Products Manufacturers Association - www.appma.org
1,3,4,- Pet Owner Survey, American Pet Products Manufacturer’s Association (APPMA) 2002
2 - Pet industry analyst, Julia Dvorko, Business Communications.